Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

eight-to-five

With Labor Day this past weekend,
I've been thinking a lot about what it means to labor
and what my labor should look like.

I've found quite a challenge in these words from John Piper:

"So the counsel I would give is to seek to do your work
in such a way that Christ looks more important than your work.
Seek to make and use money
in such a way that Christ looks more important than money.
Seek to have relationships with people in the work place
such that Christ is more important than those relationships."

So my prayer this Labor Day is...

Encourage me, Heavenly Father,
to be honest,
diligent, and faithful in all of my labors.
Give me the help, health
and ability to accomplish what I undertake.
Bless my labors each day,
so that they may be a blessing
to You and to those for whom I labor.
May all of my labor be a labor of love,
done to the glory of God and the welfare of others.
I ask this in the powerful name of Jesus Christ.
Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking on this a lot since Pastor Sam P gave a sermon on it earlier this year. He spoke from Colossians 3:23-24. "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." He, the Lord, has given us a specific set of gifts. Whether we are working in ministry or in our "day jobs", He planted us there. And if we do "just enough" through the week to merely get us to the weekend... then we are not honoring Him and His gifts in our lives. This verse/sermon spoke to me very deeply... and I am still going back to those notes almost weekly. Good stuff here...

    I love your thoughts, your prayers, the sight into your world... you have a gift in writing. God given. May God continue to bless you as you use it for Him!

    ReplyDelete