Pages

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Letter to Heaven?

My Dearest Gram,
I sat down to sew tonight.
It was the first time since I gave up
while making that top for your funeral.

There's a problem with my bobbin thread,
but I can't quite pin-point what it is.
I've tried re-threading and changing the tension,
but the stupid thread keeps getting tangled.
An entire spool, wasted.
It was the pretty yellow color, too.

I know there are probably a thousand You Tube videos
or online tutorials that could be of some use.
Or Jeeves, I'm sure Jeeves would know.
But all I wanted
was to pick up the phone
and call you,
to ask you for help.
All I wanted
was to hear your voice on the other end of my phone,
helping me salvage my project,
reminding me that it doesn't need to be perfect,
and telling me that you love me.

How I wish you were here.
I miss you.

All my love,
your Jessica

PS: The woman in front of me at church two weeks ago...
she smelled like you.
I managed a salty smile every time I sniffed her.
I hope she didn't think that's weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment